Coast Salish Territory/Vancouver
“I like to explore concepts of worth using unconventional materials and by questioning traditional display and exhibition standards – especially through a lens focused on accessibility. I obsessively archive my process and am constantly working to embrace mistakes. I build workshops and host events that help participants value (and delight in) the act of making which ultimately reduces the pressure people feel to create a finished, perfect product.”Kay Slater, 2019
Kay Slater is a multidisciplinary artist. An illustrator, preparator, and creative problem solver, their artistic practice explores value as it relates to experience and expectations.
Kay is committed to expanding art making opportunities where both verbal and non-verbal communication is used and where no one is ever turned away for lack of skill or understanding. Kay is hard of hearing, hopes you’ll face them or use captions online when communicating. They subscribe to the philosophy of the New Sincerity which strives to “be more awesome”.
Kay uses fluid pronouns in person, and They/Them/Theirs exclusively online. They have a European settler heritage and are currently living as an uninvited guest on the lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples.
The Papercut Arcade Projects:
- Ending Bravery 2.0Twine Narrative Experiment (continues), Blackout: An Interactive Adventure Salon, May 2021
- The Cosmologist’s PortfolioPhotography by Kay Slater, Posthuman Romantics, February 2021
- Brambles and SporesBoard Game by Kay Slater, Posthuman Romantics, February 2021
- HorrorathonA live streamed event by curators Louise Chow and Kay Slater. Oct 31st, 2021.
- The Missing SocksAn art show & salon by curator Kay Slater. September 23rd, 2022.
- Human, English, Romantic, PoetryVideo Presentation by Kay Slater, Post-Human Romantics, Dec 2020
- Picky EaterShort Video by Kay Slater, Jabblescram: Game Remix, July 2020
- Ending BraveryTwine Narrative Experiment, Apocalypse: An Interactive Adventure Salon, May 2020
- Eat the PrivilegedPerformance, Inedible Cakes, February 2020
- The Sound of CakeIllustration, Inedible Cakes, February 2020
- Zero SugarSculpture, Inedible Cakes, February 2020
- Inedible Cakes, an essayExhibition Booklet Essay, Inedible Cakes, February 2020
- Inedible CakesAn art show & salon by curator Kay Slater. February 23rd, 2020.
- MermInsta II: The Purple PathTwine Story Narrative Experiment, Home: An Interactive Adventure Salon, November 2019
- The Great Selfie Battle #3November 23rd 2019 Gallery below. Collective Photo Challenge: Self portrait snapshots on a theme. Embrace the selfie. Featuring photography by: Louise Chow, Christopher Alan Slater, Kay Slater. The self portrait, a portrait of an artist produced or created by that artist*, has a long and noble tradition. The selfie however is often associated with low […]
- MermInstaInstagram Story Narrative Experiment, Hungry: An Interactive Adventure Salon, June 2019